Monday, April 11, 2016

I cried, I laughed, I cheered (Lobo Tri Race Report)

First let me start off by talking about the actual race before I start sounding all narcissistic and only talk about myself! :-)   I did this race last year and again this year and have loved it!  I like the fact that I can get it paid for through my work, it's the only one that they do this for as far as I know.  I like that it is a spectator friendly course.  I liked their tech shirts and their trophies for the AG winners, so did my son he already claimed Lobo Louie for his room!  The run is fast 2 loop course around campus, the bike is an out and back to the first snake hill with a few tough hills but it's a sprint so you know you'll survive even if you feel like you might puke on one of the uphills, the swim is last and in the pool reverse tri style.  There were lots of friendly volunteers and the cops did an awesome job of taking care of traffic, I thought I was going to have to stop or at least slow down at one of the lights but nope they had it covered.  It was well organized and I got to print my results right after the race which is always a nice touch.  For anyone reading this from out of state where the races are bigger and this is common place, in these parts these are all niceties we don't always get.  There were lots of great racers out there and I was happy to be back with my extended family! :-)






Now as far as my race day went it was hard and I was a mess!  But I survived.  I placed 3rd in my AG but I couldn't really enjoy that.  Here's why, last year I had almost the exact same finish time.  Last year I was under trained and unprepared.  This year I have been training for a while because I'm about 5 weeks out from my 70.3 So I expected a lot more from myself.  But it didn't happen.  I felt like I was really pushing myself and my body was exhausted but the times weren't showing what I was feeling.  I was sluggish both my legs and upper body were just thrashed.  When I got in the pool I wasn't sure if I was moving forward of my own volition or if I was just floating and the current from all the other swimmers just happened to be pushing me along!!!  Yes, that's how fatigued I was! The day started with me waking up on time feeling what I thought was refreshed I was convinced that the last 2 good nights sleep (one of those nights sleep was with a little help to make sure I would sleep) would be enough for the previous 2 weeks of insomnia and stress induced stomach upsets.  I stopped by my work to pick up my running shoes I forgot then set up in transition where all of a sudden I started feeling nervous.  The thing is I've been doing tris for most of my life and I hardly ever got nervous anymore.  I was not remembering the simplest rules of triathlon.  I tried to shake it off, went inside to the pool to warm up.  Then listened to the pre race meeting started feeling better.  Then I took off on my 1 mile warm up run and started crying! Yes you read that right.  It's like all my emotions from the last 2 months just decided to pop up and say Hello! are you finally ready to deal with us?!!  But I quickly got myself together and went to the start.  My parent showed up with my son and I hugged and hi-fived him for good luck.  He looked quite confused as to why mom had a number written on her arm and leg and why she was lining up with a bunch of other people that had the same.  I felt strong on my run but thought I was running it faster than I actually was.  On the bike my upper body and legs were already fatigued! But I pushed through this is the only leg of the tri I actually did a little faster than last year thanks to my new speedy bike and maybe some extra training.  The second I got in the pool and tried to move I thought OH CRAP my legs and arms are dead!  I didn't think it was possible to cry in water but I did.  I wasn't sure if it was tears or water filling up my goggles.  I finished, hid for a minute in the bathroom then went to find my family.  I was surprised to see I finished 3rd in my AG when this same performance got me 7th last year with such a poor showing of my abilities but happy and I'll take what I can get. 

So I learned a few things about myself.  I picture myself as being much stronger than I sometimes am.  I think this comes from me telling myself I will always show my son that his mom is strong and tough and show him that women and men can both do anything they set their minds to.  But when I was out on the course I realized the toll the stress from my personal life had taken on my body.  What I do know is that this has renewed my energy for training and I am more determined now than ever to do my best!  I love the triathlon lifestyle and the people that I get to spend time with in this grueling and fun sport.  Because of this I believe that I am a stronger person both for myself and my son.  I love my parents and the fact that they help me out so much.   Without them I would never had been introduced to the sport, encouraged to participate, and now they ensure my son sees me doing what I love. 


It is always nice to see friendly faces that I have met along the way and they cheer for you and never judge even if you are a mess out on the course!











HAPPY TRAINING!!!!

3 comments:

Carolina John said...

How cool! Great race.

Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog said...

Sounds like a mentally tough race for you! Great job pulling through and finishing and getting a strong AG placing. Sorry you felt so fatigued the whole time.

Podium quest said...

Stress definitely effects the body. But 5 weeks out dim a 70.3 your body is trashed by a peak phase. A taper will make u feel a million times better. Best of luck @ the 70.3!