Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Apologies are sometimes overrated and when did "I'm sorry" become part of most sentences?

Guilt - I really have no use for it but for some reason it is a huge part of my life.  No I don't always voice or show these guilty feelings I entertain but I am sometimes so consumed with it, it actually alters my daily activities.  For example, if I manage to get away for a little while to get a workout in I'm so preoccupied the whole time I'm exercising about needing to get back quickly so that I can take care of my son that I will cut it short and hurry back.

My post workout hairdo... no longer care
And when did I start saying sorry for things I have no control over or apologizing for something that is not necessary to apologize for?  If I worked out a flex schedule with my boss so I can workout at lunch then I don't need to apologize to anyone for returning ahead of schedule.  Here's the funny thing I have yet to actually use my flex schedule.  So I'll sometimes get to work early and still only workout for 1 hour because I have this overwhelming feeling that people will think I'm not doing my job if I take more than my hour lunch.  A co-worker actually said to me "I don't get how some people take a lunch every day, they must not be busy enough.  I'm always on the clock"  When did we take pride in not taking care of ourselves and working so much that it becomes quantity not quality?

When someone is talking to me about something, usually complaining, and I don't know what to say I usually just say "I'm sorry" even though I have nothing to do with it.  It's almost like admitting guilt to something you didn't do.  I'm not really sorry and there's nothing I can do to change it.  But then what is the better response?

That being said no more excuses.  My biggest excuse is guilt and I need to stop using it.  I'm not sorry for taking 5 minutes longer than anticipated for a workout or having a bad hair day because I couldn't get my hair under control after my lunch workout or deciding last minute as I head out the door to run 5 miles instead of 3.3.  My son doesn't resent me for it so no one else should either.  Am I wrong?  Does guilt ever take over your workout?

Ok mini-rant finished thank you for obliging.  




My son's "not impressed" look and our first attempt at a selfie

Totally unrelated but isn't this bear birthday cake the cutest?  We went to his little friend's birthday last weekend. I spent the whole birthday party chasing my son because he wanted to go straight to the pool or the coy pond.  One day he'll just sit and chill right? :-) I never sit still with that kid which is why I love him he keeps me on my toes!



No comments: