Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Dracula is not welcome here...

It's a good thing that I like garlic and lots of it in all foods, except for in ice cream like my hubs reminded me garlic ice cream at the Stinking Rose was not our favorite, because I don't think I would survive an attack from Dracula!  Last week my work was hosting a blood drive and they made it so easy by bringing the RV to our parking lot.  I thought I can't believe I've never donated blood before I can do that!  Didn't even think twice about it or look into it at all or think that maybe I should wait until after my half marathon this coming weekend.  I also didn't know there are different types of donations and I don't know which one I did.  I know I didn't give plasma that's about it.  Not only did I not work out that day but also for the next 3 days after that!!!  I felt woozy, dizzy, dehydrated, not that bad but you could tell something was off.  When I finally did my first run on Friday, only 2.5 miles my head hurt, my joints felt weird, and I had very heavy legs.  The next day I did 6 with the stroller and felt better but was still slow.  Lesson learned I will now only donate during off season and to be honest I think I could only survive 1 donation a year.  I understand some people donate 3 times a year with no problems at all and I am very happy that they do it's a great way to give back!  Here's an article I found in runners world that I should have read prior to donating: http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/7-strategies-giving-blood-while-running-and-racing


 I've been trying to drink lots of fluids.  I'm also going to cook up a huge plate of kale and/or spinach followed by an orange for dessert.  That should help replenish what ever I have lost in time for my half.  The good thing is this half is at sea level and the weather should be slightly overcast with a high of 60.  Training at about 5,400 feet should help this feel easier.  Maybe my blood will expand at sea level and help me carry more oxygen too! ;-)   Can I just ask them to give me my blood back maybe right before I go run my race?  Oh wait, I think there is some kind of rule against that....

It's balloon fiesta time around these parts and it's been awesome getting to run with these in the air.  My son got pretty excited as we were driving and pointed to them and grunted which is his way of telling me to look at these awesome extraterrestrial vehicles!  But then on the run when I stopped at the top of a hill for him to admire them some more he was more interested in the grass next to his stroller!  That kid keeps me on my toes!


We went to a birthday party this weekend and when the pinata was broken and the candy fell out he saw all the kids running towards it he didn't know what candy was or why they all wanted it but he still dove in with the best of them, grabbed two huge tootsie rolls and took off running inside the house with his loot to try and hide it from me!  Once he saw he wasn't going to get away from me he went back and kept trying to stash leftover candy from the ground in a cardboard circle he found.  It was pretty darn cute.  I love that now I'm starting to see more and more of his personality come out.  I am petrified of this trip coming up as it will be my first time away from him at all and it will be for 4.5 days ahhhhh!!!! He's going to be fine, like mom who?, but I'm going to probably be a crying mess!  I know, I know, it's good for me yadda, yadda, yadda.   I'm going to have fun on my girls weekend and running in Nantucket but I will miss him like crazy!  I know I will run the HECK out of this race because I have to make it worth being apart from him.  Why would I go do this if I wasn't going to make the most out of it, right?

Happy Training!!

No comments: