So with this little theory in mind you'd think that I would make sure that any time I do a triathlon I'd know the course. At least drive it before hand or look at some course maps to know whats coming right? Because based on this it would benefit me to know when I should take advantage of a downhill or when I should save some energy etc. But no I usually prefer to go into a race blind, not know what's coming that way I can't dread it. I've been taking that approach for more years than I'd like to admit. Well, I think that I am changing my mind and approach! Yes, you heard me right I am admitting I was wrong. I usually sign up for races to keep me motivated to keep training and stay in shape. But maybe if I try to change my mindset I could actually train to I don't know actually race a race? :-)![]() |
| Views from my ride |
That being said I'm already going to contradict myself. I'm signing up for an Olympic distance race at the end of June that I'm pretty sure I will be under trained for because I didn't officially start my training plan for it until this weekend. When hubs finally found out he could watch the kiddo for me on the day of the race I had to decide do I sign up or sit it out due to lack of time to train? I decided I'm going to sign up and just hope for the best. Besides then I'll pick another sprint race to do right after and I'll be trained up for that one. These days I have to take advantage of opportunities whenever they present themselves and it may not always be in the ideal situation but I make it work. Kind of like people say if you wait until you can "afford" to have a baby you'd never have one! Well if you wait until you have enough time to "train" I'd never race. But I will take a look at the course and see what it holds for me and try to train accordingly. I did get a nice solo run in this weekend and a ride on the actual road outdoors with sun and hills and all! It was only 19 miles but that's a nice start to my training! 8 weeks and counting!
I started going to a master's swim group this morning at 5 am and hope to stick to it because there is just no other good time with pool schedules and work etc to get it in. My plan is to go twice a week. If I'm feeling really ambitious three times in one week might happen. ![]() |
| Add caption |
Just please please tell me waking up at 4:30 am gets easier!!!
How do you train? Do you train specific to your course and do you know your race course by heart or do you just go for it?


2 comments:
oh wow, congrats on signing up and just going for it! I try to train for some races specifically like if I know they have a lot of up or down hill. I don't do tris though, I can't swim much more than a doggie paddle!
I love having courses that leave from my house. Even better is when I can talk other people into running them with me!
Good luck at Masters. I can't do the 5:30 am practices that my team holds, but we also have noon and 6:45 pm practices. Still masters swimming has totally changed my love for the sport, it's an amazing dynamic.
Post a Comment