Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Vacation + Toddler = No training?

I am so happy for my vacation and my son is beyond excited that he gets to go on a plane and see the ocean!  I am happy that my big race is over so I don't have to worry about any long workouts, but I would still like to maintain some sort of base even if I only have sprints planned for the rest of the season.  What am I going to do about that you ask? 
This was from last year's vacation his 1st time at the beach!

  • If my son says run I will run around chasing him, if he says he wants to get back in the ocean or pool I will go, if he says he wants to jump like a frog I will do it, if he says he's tired and doesn't want to walk I will carry him on my shoulders instead of taking the stroller (shoulders actually worked way better for me on this last trip than even the kid backpack)  Essentially my son is so active that if instead of saying mommy is tired and needs a break I just get up and do this automatically will add to my daily movement.  This kid wakes up going 100 mph and while on vacation it usually starts between 5:00 - 5:30 am since he's not in his own room.
  • I will take some printouts for workouts I can do in the room while he is napping or maybe even pack my jump rope.
  • I will sneak out for a quick run or open water swim since my mom will be with me she is usually super supportive of exercise.
  • I will check out the hotel gym and maybe get there a couple of times after I've put my son to bed.
  • Most importantly I will not freak out and I will be absolutely fine if I don't get a workout in everyday I mean come on it's vacation which for a mom means work so I won't be sitting still much anyway.
  • Last I will try to eat light!  It's a hot summer beach so fresh fruit and light salads sound appealing anyway.  We got a place that has a kitchenette so we'll make sure to stalk up on healthy foods so that it's ready at arms reach instead of indulging every night eating out.  Besides I'm still trying to teach my son that when you eat you sit still so it usually involves taking a bight and running around before coming back for more so I usually don't get to concentrate much on my own food, lunch at work is my real vacation!
  • Oh and with any luck they'll have bike rentals on the beach with a kid seat!
My child is forever curious and I love that! “The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.”
Albert Einstein

How do you stay active while on vacation?

Happy Training!



1 comment:

robertbrowning said...

How to stay active on vacation? Typically, I train around the break. Load up on cycling, swimming, and weights before and after, and accept I may only run while away.