So this morning I saw this title on an MSN video: The 'Tough Mudder' is so tough it puts a triathlon to shame.
Then I went to their website and found the following:
Description of the race: This depends upon your definition of tough. Sure, running 40 miles in a
straight line isn’t easy, but we don’t think running 40 miles in a
straight line is a real test of all-around toughness, strength, stamina,
and mental grit. Tough Mudder gives participants the opportunity to
test themselves in every way — all in one place and all in one day. Our
relatively low prices and close proximity to major cities means that you
can compete against thousands of other inspiring participants, not just
thirty endurance geeks with more time and money than sense.
How fit do you need to be? Basically, you should be in good physical
condition – complete slackers need not apply. At a minimum we recommend
that you are running regularly (2+ times a week, working up to 5 miles
per run), able to do 15-25 push-ups in a row, able to bang out 6
pull-ups in a row (especially the dudes), and able to swim 50 yards
without stopping (although you can skip the water obstacles).
Now I've never done one of these so I can't speak to the toughness of it but maybe they don't realize there are different distances in triathlons like say the Ironman? If the point was to convince me to pay them to do this race I guess, mission accomplished because I just found out they are adding a New Mexico race which will mean I'm doing 2 obstacle course races next year now!! So it's a 10-12 mile obstacle course with, barb wire, swimming, some electrical shocks. Basically the only change to my training I need to do is add some upper body strength exercises. All I have to say about if I think is tougher than a triathlon right now is, this will fit in nicely as one of my weekend workouts for my Ironman training! :-) Who knows maybe I won't be able to finish it...but that usually isn't an option for me. Death before DNF right?! at least that's what my sweatshirt says and so far I've stuck to that motto...
Has anyone done one of these? Is it tougher than an Ironman?
7 comments:
BHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!
I did the Warrior Dash and Hell Run last year, and I am sorry, they are no where as tough as a triathlon, all the obstacles were easy as long as you took your time, the scariest ones, for me, was the ones that involved heights. Actually the toughest part of the race was the relentless hills, but as long as you paced yourself, you will be fine
Now, you do have to be in shape, I saw people, who obvious didnt train any and suffered, any triathlete will have no problem finishing these races.
I've never done one, but I guess i'd put it in a category of harder to complete than a sprint triathlon, way easier than an ironman. It does look like fun!
I've never done either but I can't imagine it's TOUGHER than a full IM...but it will definitely be different, and sounds like an absolute blast! Something very different. Woohoo for having one in New Mexico :).
i did the warrior dash and it was quite fun, but also quite easy. i've seen people of all fitness levels do tough mudder too. but i think it's tougher than the warrior dash. i think you could probably do it your sleep! you'll have to keep us posted on this one.
The Tough Mudder looks hard! I have always wanted to try it though!
For some reason I couldn't leave a message on your most recent post. Anyhooo......MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I haven't done an obstacle race but I have a friend who's doing it the Tough Mudder this year and she's done an IM or two. I'll be interested to see what she says in comparison. While at the Breck Epic 6 day mtn bike stage race there were a few people that have competed in several Ironmans and they said the Breck Epic was way tougher. But I also think it depends on skill set and fitness. What's hard for some is easy for others.
Post a Comment